Gang and Drug Team
Gang and Drug Team
The Carpentersville Police Department (CPD) has a special unit that focuses on enforcement, intervention and prevention to reduce gang/drug activity within the city.
Specifically, the CPD Gang and Drug Team works to suppress criminal gang activity, investigate gang and drug-related crimes and gather intelligence on known and suspected gang members. The unit provides the department with experts in intelligence, expertise and training specific to gang and drug-related crimes and provides awareness training to schools, corporations, social service agencies, probation officers and civilian groups.
A gang is defined as three or more persons with an established hierarchy that, through its membership or through the agency of any member, engages in a course or pattern of criminal activity. The consequences of gang affiliation are high. Membership and association often guarantees a criminal history that can impede a person's ability or likelihood to succeed in life. Gang members also jeopardize the safety of family members. Gang members often retreat from the positive influences in their community including friends, family, schools and community organizations. They find their only friends are active gang members who become part of their own extended family.
Confidential Tip Line- (847)551-3488 On-line Submit A Tip
Steps for Parents
Steps parents can take:
- Talk to your child. Discuss the consequences of becoming involved in a gang.
- Involve your children in family and outside activities
- Take an active role in your child's education and progress
- Monitor social media activity
- Become acquainted with the resources available within your community
- Work with the Carpentersville Police Department in identifying and intervening in gang activities before they become a problem for your family.
- Respond quickly in removing graffiti
- Report suspected gang activity immediately. In an emergency, dial 911. You may also wish to consult a gang specialist. Contact our Gang Crimes Unit at 847-551-3481.