Code Assistance Officers ensure compliance with the codes and ordinances (the Municipal Code) in effect within the Village of Carpentersville. This includes, but is not limited to, property maintenance, unkempt lawns, accumulation of debris, etc. A Rental Inspection Program has been implemented by the Code Assistance Division.
Code Assistance Officers enforce minimum standards to protect the public health, safety, and welfare of Village residents and visitors. They inspect housing, accessory structures, and properties to ensure these features are being maintained in good repair and in a sanitary condition.
Following are a few Carpentersville Municipal Code (CMCM) requirements:
- Building construction or any electrical, mechanical, plumbing or pavement installation, expansion, alteration, modification or repair requires a permit issued by the Village before any work begins (applications available on line). (CMC 15.22.010)
- Grass and/or noxious weeds must be less than eight inches in height (CMC 15.50.020 - 302.4)
- Smoke detectors are required on each floor and in each sleeping room. All detectors must be properly installed and operational (425 ILCS 60).
- Carbon Monoxide detectors are required within 15 feet of all sleeping rooms (Illinois Public Act 094-0741).
- Street address numbers are to be displayed on every building and shall be plainly legible and visible from the street fronting the property. Arabic numerals shall be of sufficient contrast from the immediate background and be at least 4 inches in height. (ICC PMC 304.3)
- Parking or storage of any construction equipment, recreational vehicle, motor home, boat, camping, travel, utility or other trailer is not permitted in a front yard of residential property, including on any portion of pavement or a driveway in a residential zoned district (CMC 15.50.020-A-4-302.23-2).
- Parking or storing any Class ‘D’ or greater vehicle in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR on any public or private property, or in any portion of a building in a residential zoned district is prohibited (CMC 15.50.020-A-4-302.23-10).
- Parking any vehicle on an unapproved surface (grass, dirt or gravel) is prohibited (CMC10.24.010-B).
- Gravel or crushed stone gravel driveways and off-street parking areas are prohibited. Existing non-conforming driveway or parking areas shall be paved no later than June 1, 2012 (CMC 15.15.040-B).
- Structures (primary or accessory) must be maintained in sound condition and good repair, free from deterioration and defects. (ICC PMC 304.1).
- Garages, sheds, signs, fences and all other accessory structures shall be maintained in good repair using acceptable methods and materials and must comply with location, size and height requirements. (CMC 15.18.010-A).
- Peeling, flaking or chipped paint must be removed and the surface shall be properly surface coated to protect wood or metal surfaces from the elements (ICC PMC 304.2).
- Handrails, guardrails, stairways, decks, porches and balconies shall be maintained structurally sound, in good repair, properly anchored and capable of supporting the imposed loads (ICC PMC 304.10 and 304.12).
- Swimming pools more than 24 inches in depth must have a minimum 4-foot high fence around its entire perimeter. The gate must be equipped with a self latching device (ICC PMC 303.2)
- Swimming pools cannot contain stagnant water (CMC 8.20.020)
- Storage of garbage/waste and recycle wheeled carts must be stored or screened from view from any adjacent street (CMC 8.08.070-A).
- Accumulation or presence of debris, junk, refuse, rubbish, scrap, garbage, branches, limbs or waste matter on any property is prohibited (CMC 8.08.110).
- Outdoor or open storage of household items, machinery, equipment, or similar items is prohibited. All exterior property shall be maintained in a clean, safe and sanitary condition (CMC 15.50.020-A-4-302.10).
- Major motor vehicle repair in residential zoned areas is prohibited unless the repair is performed in an approved fully enclosed structure (CMC 15.50.020-A-4-302.23-5).
- Hedges, trees, shrubbery or other growth may not obstruct the view of the operator of any motor vehicle approaching an intersection of two or more streets or alleys (CMC 15.50.020-A-4-302.15).
- All businesses must be registered and/or licensed with the Village. Print the Application for Business registration form (PDF). (CMC 5.04.010).
- Dumpsters must be located at the rear of buildings and fully enclosed from view from public or private property by a masonry wall. Non-conforming dumpster enclosures shall comply with these standards no later than December 31, 2012 (CMC 8.08.070-C).
- Signs requiring a permit shall not be displayed, posted or constructed before obtaining a permit (CMC 16.40.040-B-1).
- Garage, yard or rummage sale signs and the like shall not exceed five feet in surface area, and no such sign shall exceed a maximum exposure period of five days. All such signs shall be placed on private property. Garage sale signs posted on utility poles, traffic signs or in the right of way are strictly prohibited (CMC 16.40.040-D-14).
- All residential rental properties must be registered (registration form) and rental property owners are required to attend a Crime Free Housing Seminar (seminar registration-affidavit). Residential rental properties also are required to be inspected and all violations corrected before the license can be issued.